Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day 2 in Culebra

The kids slept pretty late this morning. I guess it's from the long travel day. Or wait... It could be that they're all teenagers. That might have something to do with it. Never mind that they are minutes from some of the best beaches in the world! Lisa and I used this time to run into town and pick up some provisions. Coffee was high on the list.

We first stopped off at a little bakery, Pandeli. I had a chicken empanyada and sweet roll. Lisa had a cinnamon donut. That took just long enough for the grocery store to open up. We picked up some things for the kids and I headed down to Culebra Divers to pick up some fins for snorkeling. Buying was cheaper then renting (I've never really understood this business practice but I didn't argue.) so I bought. We returned to the house to many questions: Where have you been, why were you gone so long, why didn't you get me up? When we provided food, most of the questions stopped. While they ate, I took this photo of a sailboat, moored near the house. The house we are staying in has a magnificent view of the Puerto del Manglar. This panoramic image was stitched together from five individual pics using a 35mm digital camera.
So, what do you do on your first day in Culebra? You go to Flamenco Beach, what else. Frequently rated as one of the top 10 beaches in the world, this beach is beautiful. I got this picture of the kids body surfing.

Day 2 was a Thursday. We also chose the first day to be Flamenco because we figured it wouldn't be until Tuesday that the crowds would be thinned back down. I cropped this picture down to get the kids a bit larger in the frame but even the original doesn't have anybody else in the image. Don't get me wrong. There were still to may people there but it wasn't too bad.

Flamenco beach is also famous for some abandoned army relics. The military used this place frequently for training up until the 1970's. This is me next to an old tank that rests at the West end of the beach.

Again, we had to run by the grocery store before heading to the house. This time, with everyone present, everyone could get what they wanted, more or less. This is Culebra, you know.
Dinner was a last minute decision by yours truly. El Batey, a hamburger joint on the way back to the house. Great burgers. The service was tropical island typical: slow. Not much moves in a hurry on Culebra. That's why we came here so I didn't complain.

No comments: