Tuesday, May 19, 2009

NYC

Before this month, the last time I was in New York City was February of 2005. I know it was then because Lisa and I were there the day Christo unveiled his Central Park work of art called The Gates. The past five days, Cameron and I have been in the Big Apple at the invitation of his grandmother, Sandra Pybus.

Her desire is to take all of her grandchildren on similar excursions as they graduate from High School. Possibly, not all of her ten grandkids will want to go there. I really hope she gets to do that. We really enjoyed ourselves. It was great to spend time with her and with Cameron after he was away all year at Texas A&M.
We did all the things everyone does when visiting New York. We went to two plays: Wicked and The 39 Steps. Both were very entertaining in completely different ways. We took a boat over the the Statue of Liberty. We walked through Central Park. We ate way too much including calzones at a NY deli and tons of cheesecake for desert. I think the only picture we took of all three of us was this one at the Bubba Gump restaurant in Times Square.

One highlight of the trip was our visit to the Guggenheim museum. I had noticed that during our visit, they were going to host an exhibit by the museum's architect, Frank Lloyd Wright. So just like Lisa and I were for The Gates, Cameron, Mom and I were there for the first day of the exhibit. This was particularly sweet as Cameron had just been accepted to study Architecture in A&M's College of Environmental Design. You can see the two of them seated on a bench in the center of this picture I took with my cell phone.
Nana did one thing just for us boys. She took the two of us to a Yankee's game in the new stadium. This of course, meant I had to add to my ballpark panoramas. I made my way around to home plate and tried to step out from under the overhang to take some good shots. The security there made sure I didn't. I stood there for the longest waiting for the game to be over and for the second game in a row, Alex Rodriguez hit a walk off home run. In the pandemonium of celebrating Yankee fans, I stepped up and took the three pictures I've stitched together and have posted here.

No comments: