Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Vanity of Vanities, All is Vanity

Several people have recently asked about the vanity in the room addition bath so I thought I'd brag a bit... what, me brag?... :)

When we started designing this bath, we definitely didn't want standard cabinets and a counter top. We pretty early in the process decided on some type of vanity. As soon as I saw this piece in the Pottery Barn catalog, I knew we had to have it. The only problem was that it was way too big. It was two sinks and there was no way it would fit in the area we had set aside for it. That and it was ump-teen gillion dollars.

We needed the vanity pretty quickly, so I set out to make it myself. Since the only thing I had to go on was the picture in the catalog you see here, the design part was a lot of fun. This is where SolidWorks was a big help. All of the drawer fronts and cabinet doors were cut rail and style from red oak. The columnar legs are fir.

The crowning jewel on the piece is the granite top. We had that made from a remnant that we found at a local granite counter top place. The colors in the stone were perfect so I can't take all the credit for how it turned out.
(Ecclesiastes 1:2)

4 comments:

:::b r a n d i::: said...

Well, if Anchor doesn't work out I know what you can do with your talents....it is a beautiful vanity!

My best friend's father is the type that can look at a photo of a piece of furniture from a magazine and build it. He just buys wood and goes to town. It's a talent that has always amazed me and one which I wish I had.

Amber said...

I'm so impressed! It's fabulous...now in your spare time you can generously work on an entertainment center for me!

anita said...

Very nice!

LJ said...

So when are the kitchen cabinets coming so you can post and people can be awed. LJ